Cradle to Career
California invests more than $72 billion annually – 38 percent of the state’s budget – on cradle to career investments. We need to prepare future generations for new challenges, which will allow Californians to maintain and improve their quality of life in the Golden State.
EARLY EDUCATION: PRESCHOOL AND CHILDCARE
- Provide quality and affordable childcare and preschool for all of California's young children
- Ensure that children are ready for kindergarten, building on early learning experiences
- Maximize student success through qualified, skilled and supportive teachers in every classroom
- Bolster local planning, decision-making and implementation capacity to meet unique of students in a given community
- Increase student engagement and motivation by connecting learning to the real-world
- Develop a vision for public higher education system and increase credential and degree attainment
- Close attainment gaps for underserved, underrepresented and non-traditional students
- Make higher education accessible and affordable
- Improve accountability and transparency through better alignment and data
- Take an innovative workforce-focused, skills-based approach to poverty reduction
- Invest in regional workforce partnerships
- Develop workforce strategies for California’s immigrant workforce
California’s next governor, state superintendent and legislative leaders will have incredible power to impact the future of California’s children and economy. The Cradle to Career Agenda provides a road map to success.