Center for Global Trade and Foreign Investment Advocacy
FREE & FAIR TRADE:
The Los Angeles region is the nation’s largest metropolitan export market, and one of the largest recipients of foreign direct investment.
According to several studies, workers in international trade-related jobs earn higher salaries than counterparts in other sectors of the economy. According to a report by the Brookings Institution, local exports directly account for over 300,000 local export production jobs, and directly support another 227,000 jobs throughout the nation. The Chamber estimates that thousands of workers are being employed by foreign subsidiaries with commercial and industrial presence in the region.
We encourage the White House, U.S. Congress and the U.S. Trade Representative to support the negotiation of fair and free trade agreements to increase employment through expanding international trade and investment.
The Global Initiatives Council addresses advocacy issues affecting global trade.
One of the primary objectives of the Global Initiatives Council is the creation of jobs through expanding global trade and investment. It works to foster the development and provide access to international markets by local companies and maximize the region’s diverse resources to increase opportunities in the global economy.
- Successfully complete the re-negotiations that will effectively modernize the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
- Support any necessary amendments or implementation measures to ensure that the U.S. - Korea Free Trade Agreement (KORUS FTA) remains in effect.
- Resume and complete the negotiations for the Trans-Atlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) with the European Union.
- Ensure full U.S. engagement in the World Trade Organization (WTO) that will ensure and maintain its institutional integrity and the multi-lateral trading system.
- Support and conclude negotiations for the WTO International Services Agreement that will expand market access for U.S. service sectors.
- Successfully conclude negotiations for Bilateral Investment Treaties with China and India.
- Support new bilateral free trade agreements with key trading partners in lieu of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).
>> READ MORE