LOS ANGELES, CA — Thursday, as the culmination of a year-long celebration of its 30th anniversary, the Southern California Leadership Network (SCLN) hosted the 2017 Visionaries Awards, during which 30 outstanding alumni were recognized for their exemplary leadership and contributions to the region.
An annual event that typically recognizes four to five outstanding leaders, Visionaries was expanded this year, as a part of the 30th anniversary celebrations. Leading up to this event, SCLN recognized one outstanding alumni per week for 30 weeks. Today, all of “30-in-30” honorees came together to be recognized for their individual and collective impact.
“These honorees represent the very core of Southern California Leadership Network's legacy: alumni who are bold, committed and passionate about driving change across our region and state. It is a privilege to honor so many truly incredible leaders," said Nancy Olson, executive director of the Southern California Leadership Network and vice president of the L.A. Area Chamber’s Center for Leadership.
Held at The Ace Hotel, this year’s event was attended by more than 400 area business, government and community leaders, and featured performances by Rent Poet, the Melrose Poetry Bureau, Low Leaf and the Ascendance and Vignes Rooftop Revival.
This year’s honorees include:
- Hyepin Im, President and CEO | Korean Churches for Community Development
- Donella Wilson, Partner | Green Hasson Janks
- Darin Chidsey, Chief Operating Officer | Southern California Association of Governments
- Rachelle Arizmendi, Mayor | Sierra Madre and Vice President; Chief Operating Officer | Pacific Asian Consortium in Employment
- Shawn Landres, Senior Fellow | UCLA Luskin School of Public Affairs; co-founder & board co-chair | Jumpstart Labs; Chair | Los Angeles County Quality & Productivity Commission
- Albert Hernandez, Executive Director | Family Promise of the Verdugos
- Inglewood Mayor James Butts, Mayor | City of Inglewood
- A. City Controller Ron Galperin, City Controller | City of Los Angeles
- Javier Angulo, Senior Director, Community Relations | Walmart
- Nancy McPherson, California State Director | AARP
- Amy Grat, Chief Executive Officer | International Trade Education Programs, Inc. (ITEP)
- David Eads, Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director | Tournament of Roses
- Chief Phillip Sanchez, Chief of Police | City of Pasadena
- Sydney Kamlager Dove, President of the Board of Trustees | Los Angeles Community College District
- David Porges, Director of Corporate Social Responsibility | Grant Thornton
- Brissa Sotello-Vargas, Manager, Southern California Public and Government Affairs | Andeavor Corporation, LLC
- Scott Witter, Vice President, Personal & Business Banking | City National Bank
- Sheriff Jim McDonnell, Sheriff | Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department